Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Strawberry Rose Duo Kulfi



Finally , some bright and sunny days are here. Feeling liberated throwing out winter gears. When I landed up here during peak winter , my friends used to tell me about winter depression, it didn't make any sense to me. But over these years  I could realize what they meant.Though life remained the same  during winter I could figure out something is missing. That missing part was the social interaction , coming out and meeting friends and brisk walk around the community and breathing fresh air .....makes a whole lot of difference.After all man is  a social animal .... right ?



I've started my morning walks and evenings are fun filled with chit chats with friends and I feel like  life is back now. So why not a celebration ? To start off with I'm bringing this Strawberry Rose Duo Kulfi.



This is a part of our tiny team of bloggers monthly challenge.This month we ended up with frozen treats and I thought why not a kulfi ....

Kulfi is Indian version of ice  cream. Simple and luscious with cream and other natural flavors.I can still remember , back in my native , night around 8 pm we can hear the bell of local kulfi wala and we kids would wait for that bell and assemble and the wait to taste the cool kulfi by sitting on the street side broken bench chatting and enjoying along with friends is an experience of its kind. To top it off , we would pair with friends and pick up a flavor each day and endless chatting ...



There are many varieties of kulfi you can think about . Malai kulfi , Kesar Pista , Mango ,  Coconut are my favorites. This time I settled on something new that's when this duo striked my mind.I'm telling you this is a labor of love.

I'm not exaggerating , the creamy and luscious malai( cream of milk) along with  texture of  crushed strawberry and the color and flavor from rose .. my writing can't suffice the taste.



Ingredients

Whole Milk ................................................  7 cups
Strawberry .................................................. 1.5 cups
Sugar ........................................................... 3 + 3 tbsp
Rose Syrup ................................................. 1 tsp
Rose water .................................................. 1.5 tbsp

Method

  • Heat milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium flame. When you see the cream forming on the top , collect them in a separate bowl.
  • Keep doing the same until you see no more cream formation on the top and the milk has reduced to 1/3 by volume. Now add 3 tbsp sugar , the collected cream and set aside.It took almost 1.30 hrs for me.
  • Mean while wash and hull the strawberry and dice them.
  • In a separate pan cook strawberry with 3 tbsp sugar until you see a jelly texture.
  • Once the strawberry mixture cools off , add this along with rose syrup and rose water to the reduced milk and mix well.
  • Pour it into molds and freeze for a minimum of 5 hrs. 


You want to know what my friends Dolphia , Jyothi , Subha , Anjana , Garima  and Madhuri have got to give more brain freezing ideas for this month.

And  Jil Jil Jigarthanda  - another chill and cool dessert for this summer.
Falafal with roasted bell pepper thahini for summer snack or party ideas.


Note 


  • You can skip the rose syrup and rose water if you can't find them.
  • Feel free to add some chopped nuts and try your hand with other fruit flavors.



13 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely pictures Sujatha.. you are making me grab them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rose flavored anything. The kulfi looks wonderful and are those rocket shaped pop molds? So cute!!
    - Anjana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anjana . They are rocket shaped molds , my boy picked up those cute ones.

      Delete
  3. Amazing recipe!! Very cute molds and your pictures are fantastic. Good job my dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flavor from rose milk and the texture, taste from strawberries sounds like a perfect summer delight. Beautiful clicks and amazing recipe!!! Love it girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy, I can almost smell the aroma. This is so fresh and pleasing, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your valuable comments!