Friday, April 10, 2015

Curried Kale with Red lentils

"This looks very fresh and that too, let's get it .No I doubt if we'll be able to use it as we've picked quite a lot this time and I've no idea about cooking it.No worries we will find a way to use it ". This is a very common conversation between me and my DH while we do our groceries.He would try to convince me by all means . I'm very choosy when it comes to veggies and greens.



After bringing them from the store , it becomes my responsibility to go with my trial and error method and some common sense to come up with a recipe. This has become my routine since I landed here in US.From Phoi leaves to dandelions, I've tried many and some are special success with some very bitter experiences.One such good success is this kale.



While I clean and prep the leaves, i'm unwinding some good old memories.My mom uses this age old gadget called Aruvamanai , a iron based gadget for chopping vegetables. She would sit on the floor with a foot slightly folded to keep the gadget in control.She would spread a thin plastic mat just below the gadget and start chopping the keerai (green leaves) as fine as she could and immediately clean the gadget . I wonder how precise she cuts the vegetables , without even looking at them as her eyes will be around us.I bet she wouldn't trade that as it that  has become a part of her life. On the other hand, I learned the basic chopping and prepping from my dad , so I'm more used to chopping board and knife.But I do have one such aruvamanai here with me which I bought from NJ and try to use it as and when I could.There is more of an emotional bonding between me and the gadget now.



As I told you , I used my food processor to chop my greens and the recipe is simple and versatile and I would proudly call this as my recipe.




Ingredients

Kale ............................. 1 bunch / 4 cups washed and chopped finely
Masoor dal .................. 1/2 a cup / red lentils
Garlic ................. ...........5 cloves( 2 full and 3 finely sliced)
Turmeric ........................ 1/4 tsp
curry powder .................. a generous pinch
Red chile Powder ........ 1/4 tsp
Salt ................................. to taste
Lemon juice ..................... 1 tsp
Ghee/clarified butter ........ 1.5 tbsp, divided
Mustard seeds ................. 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds ................... 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chilli ....................... 1 , broken into pieces.


Method


  • Wash and soak the dal for 15 minutes.
  • Pressure cook dal with kale , 2 cloves of garlic , turmeric and 2 cups of water upto 2 whistles / alternately cook the mentioned ingredients in a soup pot until the dal / lentill is cooked well to a mushy consistency.
  • On a separate pan , heat  little ghee and add mustard , cumin and broken red chillies.
  • Once mustard crackles , turn off the heat and add curry powder and red chilli powder, mix quickly and pour over the dal / lentil mixture.
  • Now add salt and lemon juice and cook the dal / lentil and kale mixture for 5 more minutes in simmer.
  • Now in a small pan , heat remaining ghee and fry the sliced garlic until golden and pour over the kale.


Enjoy over a bed of steaming rice with a dollop of ghee or as an accompaniment to Roti.

Notes:

  • You can use any seasonal greens in the place of kale.
  • Soaking the dal reduces the cooking time.
  • Make a bit thinner version and enjoy as a soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your valuable comments!