Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Gooseberry Pickle

We are spice lovers as I have mentioned in my space earlier. Be it rice or paratha ,our meal is not complete without  pickles.This is an easy recipe that gives you instant pickle.


My granny used to tell me that pickle aids in digestion that's why the feast platter always starts with pickle on the other side. But planning to ask her how when I meet her next.

Gooseberry is well known for its medicinal property and vitamin c and so on...Whenever I find it in market, I  will bring some and make different use of it.There is yet another pickle that my mom makes too. Sometime later I will share that too.



Ingredients


Gooseberry / Amla                    1 lb (1/2 kg)
Red chilli powder                      4 tsp
Salt                                           3 tsp (adjust to taste)
Asafoetida                                 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder                       1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds                        2 tsp

Mustard seeds                           1 tsp
Oil                                             4 tbsp * see note
Lemon Juice                               1 1/2 tbsp ( 1/2 lemon)

Method


  1. Steam the gooseberrys for 10 minutes.
  2. Slit and take the pit off and make wedges.
  3. Dry roast fenugreek seeds till brown in slow flame and grind it to a fine powder .
  4. Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds and let it crackle and add gooseberry wedges.
  5. Saute with salt , turmeric powder and asafoetida.
  6. When the berrys turn soft reduce the heat and add red chilli powder and saute for 5 minutes.
  7. Add fenugreek powder and turn off the heat.
  8. Squeeze juice of half a lemon.
  9. Cool and store in glass jar and refrigerate.


Note

* I used sesame oil as it enhances the flavor and taste and also for health benefits. Replace with veg oil or canola oil if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your valuable comments!